Friday, February 11, 2011

My Electric Organ Donor

I've got a habit. When I have some free time, the mouse on my computer just slips over to that craigslist thumbnail, and right into the "free" section. What brings me to these postings is a simple, pure fact based on perception. People perceive trash differently. Some people consider everything unwanted to be trash, and there are others who consider everything to have its own intrinsic value, and may place extreme value on these same items. Of course, these are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

Things (too materialistic?) I have found in the trash(or just plain unwanted):
   A large, beautiful oil painting, that now hangs above my bed...
   My snowboard, bindings, boots, and snow pants...
   Food (ramen and yams that sustained me for a week)...
   Alcohol (I have no shame in pulling unopened beers from dumpsters, I do have shame in drinking them before I wash it off)...
   A Guitar...
   And so much more.

And now, an electric organ!

Terry, the man that I met off of craigslist about this free organ, gets contracted to clean out rental houses before the next tenant moves in. What a job! He had salvaged this organ from a house (of apparently religious people, due to the bible hymn sheet music) and gave it away for free. It is in excellent condition, and has noting at all wrong with it. I gave him all of the cash in my wallet, which was about $5 (in singles, too), and I call that a GREAT deal for an organ.

UPDATE: I've recently looked around at CL's for other cities, and have noticed that most other cities only have one or two items a day, and usually they are misplaced classified ads. Boulder must have a) a large upper class that can afford to donate or b) like-minded people who want to recycle and avoid the landfills. Maybe its both, but it is definitively different
A little bit of varnish chipping below the keys, but nothing else is wrong with it.


*EDIT*
I sold my organ to my neighbor for $50. It was quite the enjoyable item to have in the house, however.