Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gross Reservoir

As the spring months roll around, there comes about this insatiable desire to get outside. After being bundled up all winter and working hard to finish my final exams, it was a great time to go and enjoy the warm weather.


I chose to go and spend a night on the shores of Gross Reservoir, it was an easy mile hike in, and I was hoping to gain access to some potential gold deposits in the gravels of South Boulder Creek, which have proven themselves historically and in my own pan.


The reservoir, approximately sixty feet below its full level, was amazingly desolate. Winds would blow the sand and mud from the exposed sides, whipping them into dirt devils and creating characteristic carvings on the sides of the banks. The bottom, covered with what would be a thick, oozing mud was dessicated into dramatic flats of mud cracks.

The river here was very interesting, because it flowed through a large basin of wind-blown sand with little to alter its flow. This last semester, in my Sedimentology and Stratrigraphy class, we learned how to identify the mechanics and formations of these river deposits. They were most certainly present and identifiable, I picked out parallel cross-laminations, some subaqueous dunes, and longitudinal point bars, all characteristic of a sandy braided river system.

Crayfish skeletons were abundant on the shores. As I stepped into the river to sample a long gravelly bar for gold, I almost crushed this very picture-compliant guy. 
I spent some time the next day sampling the area where the river meets the reservoir for gold. Most surface bars held some fine dust, and usually a decent amount of it. I didn't find anything that I could even call a flake, so i've concluded that the size of the gold depends on the size of the flood moving the sediments in. Finding a deposit from a large flood could contain some coarser gold.