Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bailey Creek

I just stumbled across this picture from summer '11 on Bailey Creek, southwest of Denver, CO.  Its a beautiful and continuous class V kayak run through a remote canyon. Towards the end of the run, the canyon flows through a granitic wonderland, with huge (200' wide) boulders scattered in the river channel to create small rapids. While the beginning of the run is definitely all Colorado boating, with tight, steep canyons and quick moves to be made, the granites at the end of the run inspire thoughts of Cali boating.

I'm in the white Jefe in the front center of the picture. My cousin, Ricky Hoberg is performing the move that I had just failed to do, and as a result, am facing upstream. The desired move is to slide off the dry side of the rock back into the current. Otherwise, you get pushed against the rock sticking out of the water just to the left of my bow, which can cause problems.

Just out of view in the bottom of the picture is a large hole, which by the time I had gotten my boat turned back around was right below my feet. The plunge was considerable, probably 6', and I had rolled into it without any forward speed. As my boat slipped over the edge and into the white foam below, I knew I was in trouble. I plunged vertically into the hole below, going so deep that almost my entire boat was submerged before returning to the surface upside-down. After waiting to be flushed from the hole, which didn't take long, I had to try and roll my boat back right-side up, which took about three or four exhausting and breathless attempts.

 On the edge of the river below, when you look upstream to what you have just run, that is the sweetest part. The steepness is apparent when looking back upstream. The adrenaline was flowing and the sun was shining. I don't think that I will ever forget that run.